Our designated Child Protection Leads (DSLs) are:
Cathy Chalk Sarah Hobbs Paula Thorpe
Headteacher Senior Teacher Safeguarding Governor
At Sambourne CE VC Primary School we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all pupils in our care. The health, safety and well-being of all our pupils is taken seriously and all staff and volunteers are aware of their responsibilities and will do all they can to provide a safe, caring and positive environment where children feel happy and secure. We have a robust recruitment procedure and professional development programme which ensures all staff uphold our strong ethos and values.
Your child's safety and welfare is of paramount importance, overriding all other considerations. Schools are legally required to follow set procedures and the LA requires the Headteacher or the Designated Safeguarding Lead to report any obvious or suspected cases of child abuse, which include non-accidental injury, severe physical neglect, emotional abuse and/or sexual abuse.
We believe that:
- All children have the right to be protected from harm
- Children need to be safe and to feel safe in school
- Children need support which matches their individual needs, including those who may have experienced abuse
- All children have the right to speak freely and voice their values and beliefs
- All children must be encouraged to respect each other’s values and support each other
- All children have the right to be supported to meet their emotional, and social needs as well as their educational needs – a happy healthy sociable child will achieve better educationally
- Schools can and do contribute to the prevention of abuse, victimisation, bullying, exploitation, radicalisation, extreme behaviours, discriminatory views and risk taking behaviours
- All staff and visitors have an important role to play in safeguarding children and protecting them from abuse.
Safeguarding is defined as:
- Protecting children from maltreatment
- Preventing impairment of children’s health or development
- Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
- Taking action to enable all children to have the best life chances
The Single Central Record that holds the details, particularly Criminal Record Bureau checks, is frequently monitored.
All staff and governors are trained and receive training updates in Prevent, Safeguarding and Keeping Children Safe in Education. We also hold a weekly staff briefing in which 'Safeguarding' is a recurrent agenda item.
We actively support the Government’s Prevent Agenda to counter radicalism and extremism.
We have an induction process, including DBS check, for any adults coming into school and working with the children. Regular volunteers are given a copy of our Safeguarding for Visitors Leaflet.